Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Great Toys: The Etch-A-Sketch

If the Ohio Art Company was public, I'd buy stock in it after today.


Ohio Art Company makes the Etch-A-Sketch.  Some ill-advised comments from one of Mitt Romney's campaign advisors today said:


Well, I think you hit a reset button for the fall campaign. Everything changes. It’s almost like an Etch A Sketch. You can kind of shake it up and restart all over again.


Not a good move for the Romney campaign.  References comparing Romney to the Etch-A-Sketch are now all over the Internet.


So, I thought I'd take this opportunity to extol the virtues of the Etch-A-Sketch.  This was one of my favorite toys as a kid.  I'm not sure I'd recommend it for toddlers; it is sometimes frustrating for kids under age 7 to draw what they really want to draw with it.  For toddlers, a simple magnetic "magic" writing board is better.  But for older kids, I think Etch-A-Sketch remains an enduring classic.  


I think we'll see a surge in the popularity of the Etch-A-Sketch in the coming months -- as both a political narrative and as a great toy!
  

No comments:

Post a Comment