Thursday, October 15, 2015

Apple Hill 2015, fall destination in No. CA for apples, donuts, apple cider, and craft! A destination since 1964!

An amazing autumn destination located in Placerville, CA is Apple Hill.  What do you do in Apple Hill?  There are many, many places to buy apple cider, apples, shop for crafts, etc.   Each year I try to visit a new place so I can discover our favorites!

Resources:
www.applehill.com
a destination from 1964 to 2015!

Visiting the High Hill Ranch:














High Hill Ranch is a place we always seem to visit at Apple Hill.  My son really likes the pond, fishing is available, and we tried that once.  The children like to play by the pond, parents like to sit under the shade and relax.  It is one of the busiest places on Apple Hill.


Visiting Rainbow Orchards - Best donuts on Apple Hill:

I discovered Rainbow Orchard from a local at Shingle Springs Waldorf, where I picked up a few things for my son at their shop,  such as beeswax modeling clay and a journal.  She recommended that Rainbow Orchards has the best donuts at Apple Hill.  Since she was a local, I trusted her and we tried this place out.  Rainbow Orchards takes your donut order and then makes them fresh so they come out warm!  By far the best donuts at Apple Hill!

When I was growing up in Michigan, one of the fall rites of passage was going to cider mills.  Yet, when I finally discovered Apple Hill in Placerville, this is the first year that I discovered fresh, warm cinnamon sugar to go with apple cider, the taste was absolutely perfect.  This says so much as I am a self-described donut snob!!!

















Visiting Mill View Ranch - great kids' play area:

Mill View Ranch has a large Christmas shop and the usual apples, cider, and baked goods.  What really stood out for my son was the large play area with a play town.  Children will love this place and it is a good place to hang out and let kids play for an hour, and have lunch.  They do not have a restaurant here, so bring a picnic.








Dinner at Smith Flat House (above an old gold mine):

My son loved and was fascinated by this place, it is truly fine dining in a historical setting!  Usually you can sit outside, but the evening we visited the outdoor area was closed so we ate in the cellar that used to be a gold mine!  My risotto was magical and was prepared perfectly.  We had creme brûlée for dinner, my son had been wanting to try that dessert for months.









No comments:

Post a Comment