Friday, July 19, 2013

Best activity for my five-year-old son in Chicago, Illinois - architectural boat cruise- Chicago Line cruises!

My five year old son says, "The architect boat ride tour was the best in our trip.  The architect boat ride tours showed us Chicago River and Lake Michigan.  I loved being on the water!"

Our guide, Chris Meister, is also a Chicago High School teacher, so his speech was clear and it was really easy for  both my son and I to understand and learn from him.  He threw in some history such who the original inhabitants of the area were.  One thing that was fascinating for both my son and I was that Lake Michigan is higher than the Chicago River.  Water lifts up to 5 feet when the Lock is open, though you can't really feel the lift.  The lock makes sure that Lake Michigan isn't depleted of water.

I recommend the 6:00PM tour as children are free.  Also, there are appetizers and lemonade available for free on this tour.

When we arrived early, there was coffee and lemonade available for free.  Also, there was ice cream available for purchase, which my son enjoyed.  There were many books on display on a large coffee table, that people were able to peruse through before and after the tour, these are just a few that looked interesting to me:

Resources:

Architectural + Historical Cruises
North Pier Docks at River East Art Center
465 N. McClurg Court, Chicago, IL  60611
(312) 527-2002
www.chicagoline.com

Books recommended by the Chicago Museum:

The Chicago River
by Libby Hill
Lake Claremont Press
www.lakeclaremont.com
ISBN:  1-893121-02

The Pocket Guide to Chicago Architecture
by Judith Prine McBrien
W.W. Norton and Company
New York
ISBN 0-393-73155-3

The Chicago River
by David M. Solyzman
University of Chicago Press
ISBN 0-226-76-1-5

No comments:

Post a Comment