Thursday, May 1, 2014

Supporting teenagers and young adults- making decisions

Parents want to be a source of emotional support and be a confidante. Even at 6 years old, I want my son to feel like he can trust me, to be able to go to me for support no matter what. My dad had a policy that we could call him from anywhere and anytime and he would pick us up, no questions asked! Believe me, this worked with the four children in our family! Yet, don't we as parents eventually want our children to be independent and secure to make decisions on their own? Since today I am going to my uncle G.'s funeral, Today I am thinking about how I want my son to grow up. One tool I have hear works is to pay attention to your personal opinion on the issue when your child asks a question while listening with support, but work on restraining from volunteering premature advice. A rule of thumb in talking to young adults is to ask gentle questions avoid always directing the young person. Always though, I think it is important to show interest and concern. Some questions to ask, as a parent, are the following: 1. Does my child need me to do this? 2. Could I wait for my child to try it?- perhaps with help or supervision- before I step in? 3. Could I step back and learn to tell the difference between minor problems that children can handle om their own and serious problems in which parental intervention is important? Personally, as my son grows older, into a young adult, I want him to be able to successfully be able to map his own course in life, and navigate his future and his relationships. I pray daily that he will grow up to become a mTure, independent, happy and loving adult. I love him more than anything!

No comments:

Post a Comment