Saturday, January 5, 2013

How to Raise Healthy Eaters

Natalie Digate Muth, MD, MPH, RD wrote a book called Eat Your Vegetables- Redefining How To Raise Healthy Eaters.  She also has a website, howtoraisehealthyeaters.com.  A few things she recommends is the following:

-Don't make your child clean their plate, so they develop self monitoring
-Don't bribe students with dessert is they finish their plate or eat their vegetables
-Keep apples and pears for snacks instead of juices and potatoe chips
-Stay  away from apple juice, it is better to eat an apple instead.
-Don't create a meal for each person in family, stay away from being a short order cook, instead plan and create healthy meals.

Here's a link to the book on Amazon.

2 comments:

  1. Great Tips!
    Does she talk about gluten, diary, or soy?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't see any specific recommendations. What are your thoughts on this? I, personally, am trying no corn, soy, or coffee, and I feel better. I do not give my son soy milk, I prefer whole milk for him.

      Delete