Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Is Thanksgiving Too Stressful?

After writing about whether Halloween is too scary for toddlers, I started thinking about whether Thanksgiving is too stressful for grownups.  Today is the biggest travel day of the year.  People across the country are battling snow and rain to make it home.  Yet, how many people these days have the Norman Rockwell Thanksgiving that they yearn for, especially as they sit in traffic in the snow or their plane is delayed?  

This holiday season has been very stressful for us.  We try to make each side of the family happy.  But how do people really make two families happy, especially when everyone wants to spend time with their gorgeous grandchild/grandchildren?  The other day I talked to some empty-nesters whose son wasn't planning on coming home for the holidays for Thanksgiving or Christmas.  

This year I wanted to rent a beach house at Half Moon Bay and invite one side of the family on one day, and then the other side of the family the next.  It just didn't work out.  Since we are doing some work on our house, we decided to go out to dinner this year.  I hope I can take some time to contemplate what I am grateful for, relax, and enjoy the moment.

Happy Thanksgiving!  Just for fun, I'll be sharing a few ideas I've thought would be fun- maybe next year!

-TC Mama

No comments:

Post a Comment