Friday, January 2, 2015

Talking to children about death

How do I talk to my son about death?  I have to really think about this as my uncle passed away a few days ago.  Not quite sure still what to write.  After several days of asking friends who I respect, these are the things I have heard....


  • be direct

  • convey the finality of death, unlike the way some video games or media portray death

  • avoid euphemisms, such as the person is in a deep sleep,or has gone away for a long trip.

  • some children need to talk about the practical aspects of what happens to the body, in a way they can feel comfortable with and understand, such as burial or cremation.

  • children process grief differently then adults, and may seem unaffected at first, sadness and questions may arise at unexpected times, so be prepared.

  • ritual is important, for adults and children, such as funerals, shivas.  This can be as simple as saying some words or as complex as planning a funeral.

  • read age appropriate books such as Badger's Parting Gifts, or the The Fantastic Flying Books of Mr. Morris Lessmore (following the Oscar winning short film).  This book, recommended by a friend, is more about legacy, but is appropriate she said during a loss, such a  death.

  • give yourselves time to grieve  (let children see you cry, this is more useful than shielding them).

  • Talk about memories, take a drive down memory lane.  My family did this growing up, taking a drive to our family farm, this is something I share with my son.

  • One thing that has helped for me is that my uncle has been taking us for rides to the family cemetery for as long as I can remember.  Therefore, cemeteries were never scary for me.

  • A friend recommended talking about the circle of life, such as discussing seasons of a tree life cycle, leaves falling, decomposing, etc.  I haven't discussed this.

  • Another friend discussed sharing how she discusses how grateful she is the person was here with us for so many wonderful years, and how he lives in our hearts.

No comments:

Post a Comment