Thursday, January 16, 2014

What is an "empath?" Do teachers and parents benefit from being empathic? Can you learn the skill?

What is an "empath?"  I was researching this question this morning, since I have heard this term a few times recently.  Of course, there are different definitions of the same term, so I will keep researching.  One definition I found this morning, that makes sense, is the one given on Elise Lebeau, Ph.D.'s website,

"An empath is someone who can feel other people's emotions as their own:  we feel what other people feel."

When I saw that definition, I thought of some of the amazing educators I have known during my years of teaching, who for privacy reasons I am not going to name here.  They are able to connect with parents and students, and be able to empathic to others with few words, they just know and understand people.  We all have had at least one teacher that we remember who seemed to really know us and listen to us, and to know what we really needed to do well at school and be happy and content there.

I found through my research, Elise Lebeau, Ph.D. and I will be finding out through her whether one can learn to be empathic to others and sensitive to what they need.  I will be blogging soon about what I found.

Resources:

Elise Lebeau, Ph.D.
http://www.eliselebeau.com/
(971) 279-8554

No comments:

Post a Comment