Sunday, June 16, 2013

Salute to Dad, Treat Dad to a BBQ on an Aircraft Carrier!

USS Hornet in Alameda, CA had a Living Ship day today.  Also. there was a special BBQ and Magic Show!    We went today and witnessed simulated flight operations on the historic aircraft carrier.  My son had a chance to sit in the cockpit of a fighter jet and ride an aircraft elevator.

My father was stationed in the Navy in Alameda during World War II.  He joined wanting to be a gunner.  He was dissuaded and eventually became an airplane mechanic instead.  My father loved Alameda and always wanted to go back.  As we stood on the Aircraft Carrier looking out at the San Francisco Bay a tear came to my eyes as I thought of him.  He never got to meet my gorgeous son, but I know he'd be happy to know I was sharing this with my son.

I love you Dad!

U.S. Hornet
www.HornetEvents.com

Tail gun on a dive bomber on the hangar deck of the USS Hornet:


One of three elevators for aircraft in hangar bay on the Hornet; this elevator is put into service on USS Hornet's Living Ship Day once a month (including on Fathers Day):


The USS Hornet's anchor chains:


An officer's quarters:



Emergency generator:



Ward Room:



1/8 scale model of the first landing of an aircraft on a ship:



Officer's "pantry":




Ready room on the USS Hornet:




Marine's (replica) firearms:


One portion of Marine's living quarters:


USS Hornet post office:



View of San Francisco from the flight deck:


View of the USS Hornet's island from the flight deck:


Fathers Day magic show in Hangar Bay 1 on the Hornet:


No comments:

Post a Comment