Wednesday, August 27, 2014

Foodie Kids and Families: Recommended alternatives to cow milk

I've read and discussed with health care practitioners how some children become sensitive to cow milk after after around the age of five. I have been experimenting with cow milk alternatives for years since I  can have tummy trouble with milk.  Here are some of the alternatives we have tried in our family.  We usually carry two kinds of milk in the refrigerator.

Goat Milk-  This is the easiest milk for humans to digest as it is most like human milk.  This is my son's favorite milk, other than cow milk.  This week he has actually been asking for goat milk.  Since I am on a budget right now, I get Meyenberg Goat milk from Whole Foods market.  

Flax Milk-  This is thinner than cow or goat milk,it is great for cereal or putting in pudding or tapioca. I use it in coffee.  I have only recently started trying Flax milk.  I purposely bought the unsweetened variety as I am trying to lower our families sugar intake.  This milk has 25 calories per serving, 0 sugars and 0 protein.  It has 1200 mg of omega 3, 345 mg of omega 6, and 385 mg of omega 9.
Good Karma Flax Milk
Unsweetened

Hemp Milk- This is similar to flax, but I haven't developed a taste for it yet. I keep trying.

Soy Milk-  I haven't bought soy milk for awhile, but when I do have it at a cafe I make sure it is organic.

Rice Milk-  Rice milk tastes great in coffee for me, cereal for my son, or cooking.
___________________________

Almond Milk-  I like almond milk in cereal or coffee, my son prefers goat or rice milk.  Once again, OK in pancakes or cooking.
I am drinking almond milk in my coffee right now.  I actually preferred the vanilla flavored version, but am working on the less sugary alternatives.  Interestingly enough, as I read the carton, 1 cup of this milk has 7 g of sugar.  It has 4% fat and 1 g of protein, with 60 calories per serving. 
Silk Almond Milk, Original, silk.com
NON-GMO

Recipe:  Very cherry Smoothie
1 cup of silk Almond Milk
1/4 cup orange juice
1 cup of frozen cherries
1 tbsp of honey
1 cup of ice
Blend, serve and sip.
______________________________



Coconut Milk-  I have started using this for a few years, this is somewhat sweet to me, good for cereal, pancakes, etc.  

No comments:

Post a Comment