Monday, December 24, 2012

Uhuru Pies for the Holidays


I stopped at La Farine Bakery, which we'll blog about soon, and then got some ground ginger at Safeway across the street and I met Wendy, a volunteer from Uhuru pies right in front of Safeway.  Uhuru is selling all kinds of delicious pies to help fund a commercial kitchen and to support the African People's Education and Defense Fund, www.uhurupies.org.  I came home and put all my supplies down and tasted a piece of the sweet potato pie, it was yummy and not too sweet!

I've never made sweet potato pie myself, but I used to teach with a woman named Shirley who gave me a recipe and brought in some to taste.  I loved it then, and still love it now!


[Picture from http://apedf.org/programs/uhuru-pies/oakland/]

Resources:

Uhuru Pies
www.uhurupies.org
1-800-578-5157
Still available all day today, December 24th in front of  Claremont Avenue Safeway!

Pie flavors:  apple crumb, apple cranberry, berry, pecan, chocolate pecan, pumpkin, and sweet potato pie.

No comments:

Post a Comment