Wednesday, December 25, 2013

Christmas Eve service, our tradition

In my family when I was going up we'd go to my mom's side of the family on Christmas Eve, and my dad's side on Christmas.  Now, with our son, we have started the tradition of going to church on Christmas Eve.  They sing carols, the children do an impromptu Shepherds play with costumes, and ends of singing in a circle with candles.  My son was so excited to go tonight that all day he'd say, "Mommy, we don't want to miss church tonight."  At the end, everyone got a chocolate kiss as they left the church.  The church we go to has been around for 100 years and the architect was Julia Morgan, so it is historical and gorgeous!  Taking my son to church last night was the one thing I felt I completely "got right"  this season.  I did not have the holiday party for William's friends I wanted to have, with ideas I saw in a magazine.  I did not have my friends and my husband's friends over for an elegant dinner, like I wanted to.  I didn't even get any of my holiday cards out yet, and am going to picture people on the 26th for cards, and will send New Year's cards instead.   Though I feel bad about what I didn't get done, after going to service last night I feel better.  When I saw my son run out the door, going to church, with his new suit I got on sale on Macy's that he picked out, I was immensely proud of him!

No comments:

Post a Comment