Thursday, December 5, 2013

My son didn't want to go to school today

My son didn't want to go to school today.  A week ago he was hit and bullied by another child at school.

The New York Times and other news sources are reporting on the graphic details about what happened at Sandy Hook Elementary School a year ago.  I am part of a brand new generation of mothers who have to face the following scenario: when their child doesn't want to go to school, and they look at you with big teary eyes, I wonder, "What if?"

It doesn't help when I was watching KTVU news last night for the weather, and they said they now have the live words of what was happening at the elementary school on December 14th.  It said to go on KTVU.com and look under national news, Sandy Hook.  Will I look?  No.   Does it bother me?  Yes.

A year ago, on December 14th, I was teaching.  I remember parents looking in the window, but I didn't officially know what happened until the recess break.  Teachers and administrators were shocked.

Today is a beautiful day, but in my heart I still feel sad about December 14, 2012.  Parents will never again feel completely safe when they drop their child off to school.  I wonder if there were any children that day at Sandy Hook who didn't want to go to school that morning?  My heart goes out to those parents.

No comments:

Post a Comment