Monday, December 16, 2013

My child's idea - making a candle holder out of clay

"Today, we made a candle holder out of clay.  First, I thought of the idea.  I got the idea from Godly Play yesterday.  I learned that  back then, they knew how to make candle holders that looked like a tea pots.  That's what they told me.  That's the only way they knew how to make them.   Back then, they didn't need to have candles, but they used oil and wicks.  I made it out of clay, with a handle.  I needed water too, and a 'stirring' straw design with.  Then, my mommy found a candle holder to put in it, and lit it.  We decided not to use oil, because we didn't have any oil, but mommy had beeswax candles.  And that is how I made this candle."

Transcribed by momma, idea by Matthew




Resources:

Clay
Crayola Air-Dry Clay
White, NET 5 lb.
No Baking, Dries Hard
crayola.com
code # 57-5055-0-952
style # 57-5055

This is a fine, natural earth clay which air dries to a hard solid.  Use it to make clay sculptures, decorative items, or plaques.  No baking or firing needed.  

While working with this clay, use only water to soften clay or join pieces.  

Drying time for a project is generally 2-3 days, depending the size and thickness of the sculpture.  See crayola.com for tips on working with Air Dry clay.

Beeswax cake candles
from Nova Naturals catalogue
comes with 12 candles, 3" tall, natural or multi-colored
#2695  $5.00
www.novanaturals.com

Set of three brass candle holders
(These holders are from Germany)
Solid Brass
Holds a 0.5" candle.  #2645

No comments:

Post a Comment