Sunday, October 6, 2013

Book Recommendation: My Name is Gabriela/ Me Llamo is Gabriela by Monica Brown

Ashay By the Bay, at the Rockridge Out and About Festival, picked out My Name is Gabriela for a bilingual read aloud for my five year old son.  I love the illustrations and it was a fun and interesting mommy read too.  The story is about the life of author, Gabriela Mistral, who was the first Latin American writer to receive  a Nobel Prize for Literature.  Gabriela Mistral was born in 1889 in Vicuna, a small town in Northern Chile in South America.  She published over thirty collections of poetry in her lifetime.

I read both of these books at bedtime and he enjoyed them both.  I work on reading at least one or two bilingual spanish books each night for at least five minutes, then I let him pick a few choices.

Resources:

My Name is Gabriela/ Me Llamo is Gabriela
by Monica Brown
Illustrated by John Parra
2006 International Latino Book Award Winner
Luna Rising Publishing
P.O. Box 1389
Flagstaff, Arizona  86002-1389
ISBN 13: 978-0-87358-859-1

Ashay By The Bay
African American and Multi-Cultural Books and Educational Services
www.AshayByTheBay.com
Phone:  510-520-2742
FAX:  707-557-3585
EMAIL:  ashaybythebay@gmail.com
Contact:  Deborah Day
Headquarters:  Vallejo, CA



No comments:

Post a Comment