Monday, October 7, 2013

How do I get my son to eat breakfast before elementary school?

This morning was a nightmare.  My son started kindergarden this September and I am having a hard time getting him to eat 3 meals a day plus snack at school.  I have to prepare 3 meals before 8:00AM and it is really hard!  The students bring a lunch in a lunch box but there is also a tub to put recess snacks in, which by the time I pack a drink and snack, is almost like another meal!  This morning I actually fed my son organic cheese leftover pizza and an apple juice for breakfast.  He enjoyed half of it, then put it down and the dog ate it, and dogs aren't even supposed to have flour!  Last year I usually made scrambled eggs with a little cheese, the secret to my son liking it is cooking it really slow!  The following are some other breakfast ideas that work for my son, and I am looking for some new ideas!

Breakfasts my five year son likes:

scrambled eggs with cow or goat milk, scrambled slow

Boiled eggs (great as I can make them ahead, but he doesn't like the yolks so I feed those to the dog.)

poached egg

string cheese

bagel with cream cheese and lox

crackers with peanut butter

chocolate chip or regular pancakes

egg pizza (check out Oliveto Cafe in Rockridge Cafe in the morning for this delicacy, I haven't learned how to make it yet!)

Cheese pizza  (when desperate, not best choice! Homemade organic is preferred.)

W cheese roll (See previous blog for directions, we make these together.)

chicken apple sausage

croissants

morning buns (very sweet on a school day)

toast with peanut butter or chocolate hazelnut butter

strawberry smoothie with vanilla yogurt (If at jamba juice, sometimes I'll have them add a banana as it doesn't really change the taste.)

apple juice/ apple slices without peel




What he doesn't like, yet...I'll keep trying:

oatmeal with soy milk, dairy, or goat milk

healthy cold cereal, but still trying variations

granola

bacon

muffins/scones

banana

blueberry pancakes (this makes me really sad as my dad used to always make us blueberry pancakes, but my son really doesn't like them.)

banana pancakes with walnuts  (My son doesn't like the banana or walnuts in anything.  He will tolerate a banana in a smoothie if I don't announce it.)

I have to admit that I don't care for getting three snacks/meals ready before 8:00AM in the morning.  I am working on getting better at this.  My favorite meals are the "slow food" variety where we can make the meal together watching it simmer!  I love making homemade pizza with my son, or W cheese rolls, or slowly cooked scrambled eggs with fresh croissants I've made or picked up at the bakery early in the morning.  I miss those days, when he played beside me while I made a nutritious breakfast!


No comments:

Post a Comment