Monday, October 21, 2013

St. Paul's School, Oakland, CA- My favorite things about this school!

I visited St. Paul's School in Oakland, CA for their open house, this past Saturday.  I spent a few hours visiting the classes and I saw many aspects of the school I loved.  I've gone to several private schools and I'm going to start writing about what I've discovered that I liked about each one.

St Paul's- k-8 school in Oakland, CA

*I discovered on Saturday that St. Paul's is not a parochial school, in fact they study many different religions and learn about them.  I think this is fascinating and a charming quality to make children more tolerant and worldly.

*Each Friday, they go to the chapel, and the young children sit with their older buddies and sing, and do other things having to do with world religions and spirituality.  One mom I talked to said that was her children's favorite part of the week!  I can see that being a  favorite part of my son's day too!  They told me Saturday that I am welcome to bring my son any Friday to experience this firsthand.

*The staff is really warm and friendly!  I felt really comfortable, and it seemed that they really cared!  I haven't always felt this at a private school, as sometimes it feels more chilling and sterile.  I get a strong feeling at St. Paul's that they focus on socio-emotional needs of children and parents.

*There were lots of hands-on math manipulatives and games out in the classrooms, so I got a feeling that they don't just focus on drill and kill worksheets, but do lots of hands-on activities.  I need to go visit the school in session to discover more about this.

* The Kindergarden class had under 20 children and 2 teachers, how wonderful!

*I loved the Kindergarden class, it had a loft and lots of spaces within the space.  It was a fun place, and I imagine my son would love it!  I don't always like the spaces in schools.  I loved the kindergarden class.

*The children at St. Paul's do service learning.  Each year they do a different project.  One grade made sandwiches to be delivered to a senior center, another class visits seniors.  I love the way they teach the children about giving back, I see this as a way to prevent judgement and entitlement that I've seen some children exhibit.

*I've shared seven things, and I want to share 7 things I appreciated about each school I visit, but I could continue!  I highly recommend visiting this school to see if it fits your child's and your personality and preferences!

No comments:

Post a Comment