Monday, October 21, 2013

What is my son's favorite snack for school?

Since my son started elementary school in September, what to feed him for snack is now becoming a source of stress for me.  Why?  Well, starting school has a whole new set of challenges!  Where my son goes to school they have children bring both a snack bag and a lunch bag.  I need to bring something that can be packed easily, does not need to be eaten warm, does not go stale if not refrigerated, and a whole set of problems!  After working on this problem for almost two months I have a snack that I actually pack most days, since I KNOW that he will eat it and enjoy it!  I love variety and spontaneity in snacks, but it is too stressful now that he has started school.  I don't feel very creative at 7:30 AM in the morning!

My son LOVES the Late July organic mini cheddar cheese crackers.  On the package it claims it is "real organic white cheddar cheese between organic mini buttery tasting rich crackers."  I have tried to pack him plain crackers with a slice of cheddar cheese in it, but when I pick him up and the cheese and crackers are still there, I feel bad wasting that food since after a day at school in a bag, the cheese is no longer edible and doesn't look edible anymore either!  The box claims that these crackers are produced without synthetic pesticides and have no artificial flavors, colors, or preservatives.  I love reading the ingredients and being able to understand EACH one, no strange names!  I also give him a box of 365 organic organic 100% apple juice (no sugar added.)  I started the year giving him a thermos of fresh, refrigerated apple juice and after he lost three of them, and I started getting sick of wandering around the school and classroom looking for them, I switched to boxes, at least for this year.  I still haven't found any of those three thermoses, which still bothers me as they are really expensive.  I recycle the box, but I still feel bad about the waste.  I haven't found a better snack, yet, but I am always looking!  When I find one, I will blog about it!

Resources:

Late July Organic Mini Cheddar Cheese Crackers
Bite Size Sandwich Crackers
Distributed by:
Late July Snacks
3166 Main Street
Barnstable, MA  02630
www.latejuly.com

No comments:

Post a Comment