Saturday, October 6, 2012

Being a teacher is getting expensive!

Being a teacher is getting expensive!  Most people don't notice that teachers almost ALWAYS spend their own money on all the extras such as stickers, prizes, extra art supplies, extra science supplies, etc.  In some areas, like Chicago, they need to spend their own money just to teach basics.  It is really upsetting to me when some politicians criticize teachers when they never have even experienced the job or sent their own child to a public school.   When I calculated how much I already spent this year I was shocked and couldn't help but question my career choice.  How many doctors at Kaiser have to buy their own supplies, or ANY supplies?   Plus,  they make SIGNIFICANTLY more money than teachers do.  Right now is the hardest time to be a teacher, I think, in my lifetime.  I've taught for over ten years but until now I've never been worried about being verbally attacked when I say I'm a teacher.  Opinions of teachers are at an all time low and it is really sad.  Most teachers work extremely hard at the sacrifice of spending time and money on their own family.  It is a hard job to test standards that are not always in line with the resources provided.  We need to support and respect our teachers.  We need them to feel appreciated and respected, and have them do their best!

No comments:

Post a Comment