Wednesday, October 3, 2012

When should a child be potty trained?

When my son was 2 I was so worried about the topic of potty training.  I remember going to lunch with friends who have children of a similar age and getting really stressed!  I was at the bank yesterday and a teller was telling me about the struggle in getting her son potty trained.  What I wish I knew then, that I know now, is that all children develop at their own rate.  We can't compare them, as they are all different even though they are the same age.  All I know is that exactly when my son turned four the whole using the potty, not wearing the nighties, and asking to use the bathroom all made sense.  Before that he understand parts of the process, but I also spent way too much time worried about it!

So, relax and ENJOY the process and the time with your little one.  When children see their parents stressed, they become stressed.  I've learned through these four years with my son that they are looking toward us for guidance, but they have their own timetable.

No comments:

Post a Comment